All too often "bedtime" is a swear word in our household. It brings me a lot of anxiety and irritation trying to talk three children into going to bed without yelling and screaming at each other, whining and crying and being naughty. And then coaxing the baby to just lay down in his crib and not cry while I walk out of the room. Evening starts setting in and my mood shifts from a bright sunshine to a dim loom and gloom.
Tonight however, was different. My baby missed his second nap, so by eight he was exhausted. He afforded me the rare opportunity of letting me rock him to sleep. I sang him some Primary songs and he was snoozing long before the first song was over. Overjoyed that he was so snug and cozy in my arms, I sang to him and cuddled him and kissed him for quite some time. It's not often that my little man likes to be held to go to sleep, so I had to soak up the moment. I carefully laid him in his crib and tiptoed out of the door without so much as a whine or a cry. As I closed the door, my heart was very full of gratitude for that sweet little baby. Then it was time to tackle the big boys. I walked up the street to get the three big boys playing night games at the neighbors house. Instead of the usual cries of "it's not fair! No one else has to go home this early!", I was greeted with a smile and my oldest gathered his brothers and announcing with grace that it was time to go home. As we were approaching the house, Tyler asked to go for a walk...with me. "Sure Ty, that is a great idea!" was my quick reply. Hand in hand with Ben, Tyler to my side and William running up and down the sidewalk in front of us, I walked with my sweet boys around our block. Slowly walking, and listening intently to their chatter and coversation, I was thinking to myself what a rare and wonderful moment this was. We were all in harmony. As we got home, they quickly obeyed and got their jammies on, brushed their teeth, knelt for prayers, did "bed bus" to their beds and so far, have stayed cheerfully in their beds. All I hear still is happy sounds from the basement.
So tonight instead of cringing at the word "bedtime", I am smiling at it. What a pleasant evening this has been. I love every second I can get with my boys. I can think of nothing else that would be as fulfilling and gratifying as being a mom. If it could be like this every day, I would wake up wishing it was bedtime already.
No comments:
Post a Comment